You know when you are tired, right? Your eyes hurt. Your throat is dry. You are coming down from that last caffeine or sugar high. You are debating if you should even drive home in your condition.
After a really intense day or week, how can you recharge without sleeping for 12 straight hours or going for that $4 caffeine and sugar mix? Here are five healthy ways to clear your head, calm your spirit, and recharge your body:
- Play – A good goofing session with your kids or pet is always a great way to put a smile on your face and a bounce in your step. Thirty minutes of high energy fun almost always puts some life in my batteries.
- Doze – The opposite solution is a power nap. The trick with this one is to be diligent on timing. A power nap should last no less than 20 minutes and no more than 40 minutes. If you are not day dreaming after 7-10 minutes, chances are, this isn’t going to work for you, and you should get up and try something else.
- Exercise – A stroll around the neighborhood is not going to help. You need to be breathing heavy and possibly even sweating a little. Twenty minutes of exercise can be enough to get the blood flowing, and break your mind away from your work. Work will fade away as you focus on the exercise, your breathing, and your pace.
- Introduce yourself – A quick and easy way to let go of work and remind yourself of who you are is to introduce yourself to someone new. Talking with the person behind you at the grocery store or while waiting for a cross-walk to change will force you to focus on the short conversation at hand. Your mind will naturally refocus to paying attention to the new mannerisms, tone, and body language of this unknown person. After the conversation, you will have been reminded of how big the world is.
- Change your clothes – You put your suit of armor on for work each day. Be sure you take it off each evening. How you are dressed often determines your mannerisms, and your mannerisms influence what your mind. If you don’t believe me, go home tonight and put on your old sports uniform. Undoubtedly, you will start thinking about baseball, basketball, or some other sport.