The information available to most of you is now overwhelming. With a little practice, you can learn how to do anything you want on the web. There are no “secret sauces” anymore. Whenever you spend more than 10 minutes reading online, however, you should ask yourself, “Am I browsing or researching?” If you are working, you should not be browsing.
Here are a few tricks I implement to limit wasting time on the Internet:
- Ask yourself, is this leisure reading, self-improvement / educational reading, or research? Awareness is important.
- If you are researching, what are the 2-5 questions you are trying to answer? Write them down.
- Is the Internet the best source for these questions? Are the sites you are using proper sources?
You must control how you use online researching, or you will find yourself caught in the web. (sorry for the cliche, I just couldn’t help myself.)
- Midweek reading – Weekend Reading before the weekend
- Weekend Reading
- Weekend Reading – Marketing Articles for March 18, 2011